Sunday, January 8, 2012

Greetings from Cape Town!

Hello, blog-followers!

I have officially made it safe and sound to the beautiful country of South Africa. I'm still in the limbo state of juggling jet lag with the overwhelming feeling of the fact "hitting me" that I'm finally here for a three-month period after almost a year of planning. My first impression was that Cape Town is sincerely unlike any other city I've ever seen in my life. The mountains looking over the busy city look like a painted landscape and the trees make me feel like I'm in part Florida, part Lion King. The weather is absolutely gorgeous, but unfortunately my apartment is lacking air conditioning, so it's quite hot! I have an unbelievable view of Table Mountain from my bedroom window; I'll be posting pictures soon!

My journey began with a 9 1/2 hour layover in London, where I was lucky enough to meet up with some family friends from Wales. Saffron, Emily and Amit picked me up from Heathrow and drove me through the streets of London, including a delicious lunch with a view of the Thames and a walk through the Tate Modern art gallery. I had an amazing time with them and was sad to leave after such a short visit, but I was also excited for what was to come!

The fellow interns who are staying in apartment building that I've met so far are super nice. I adventured up to the roof with Audra, a girl from Northeastern, this evening and could not believe the view. There's a barbecue area with picnic tables and a heated pool on the roof! I wasn't aware of this before, but apparently Cape Town is incredibly windy, especially at night. After being in a stuffy room for so long, the cool wind felt amazing. I'll definitely be keeping my window open at night.

I already feel like I've been gone forever and miss everyone at home! I'll be doing much more exploring during the day tomorrow with my camera. Then I start work on Tuesday! I hope everything is going well on your end. Update you soon!

xo Em

No comments:

Post a Comment