Thursday, February 23, 2012

Sunset on the Zambezi

I've decided to split my experience in Victoria Falls into two blog posts since we kept so busy! Our excursion into Zimbabwe was met with high standards after leaving Mala Mala, but we were not disappointed. I was in awe as we drove up to our hotel, the Victoria Falls Safari Lodge - a huge rustic lodge nestled among a forest of trees and situated next to a huge watering hole. I felt like I was in mansion-style Swiss Family Robinson treehouse!

Once we settled in, we set off on our first adventure - a sunset cruise along the Zambezi river, flowing between the countries of Zimbabwe and Zambia. The ride was heavenly and the sunset was breathtaking (and the limitless complimentary alcoholic beverages weren't too bad, either!) We saw an elephant grazing right near the shore of Zambia and we came across a group of the most active hippos we've ever seen. They were playing with each and other and literally doing jumps in the water, a rare sighting since they tend to be fairly low-key animals. As a little game, I was trying to list as many African countries as I could off the top of my head, with a couple of inputs from my dad, and came up with twenty-six. I vowed that by the time I get home in April, I'll be able to list all fifty-three from memory!

When we returned back "home," we had dinner at the hotel restaurant, which is completely outdoors under a small roof. We sat at a table overlooking the watering hole in the near distance - a spectacular view. We were told that not many animals are sighted there since it's the rainy season and they have plenty of options for water, but nevertheless we looked out and watched a herd of about six or seven elephants perusing the water hole. Amid other sightings of large groups of warthogs, impala, kudu, maribou stork and other birds, we definitely got our fill of animal watching. Dinner was delicious and Dad even ordered crocodile tail! Halfway through our meal we found ourselves being serenaded by an African a cappella group. With the beautiful music, serene views, fresh air, yummy food and great company, I again found myself questioning whether it was all a dream.

On a last note, I'd like to wish my wonderful Mom a very happy birthday! She's my best friend and I'm missing her like crazy halfway across the world. I wish so badly I could spend this special day with her, but I'm glad that my dad and Jess will be returned to her this evening. She deserves nothing but the best!!

xo Em

Jess on the boat


Elephant sighting! - nothing new to us ;)

Active hippos


Sunset on the Zambezi

Dad and Jess at dinner

Our African a cappella serenade

No comments:

Post a Comment