Sunday, March 4, 2012

Marching Forth (Get It?)

Good morning/afternoon/evening, readers! Don't get too excited; I don't have anything brilliantly wonderful to update you on. Life has been a bit low-key, as I've been saving up money and energy for some really exciting things coming up in the next couple of weeks. This past weekend has consisted of chill nights out on the town, dinners with friends and simply curling up on the couch with the roomies and sharing a relaxing reading session. It's nice to live with a couple of fellow bookworms!

Speaking of which, I was informed early last week that I would have to move out of my apartment because it was being rented out to some locals for the month of March. I was disappointed at first that I had to move, but I found out I was moving in with my two best friends here! It's only one floor up and the apartment is much more gorgeous than my original one - a full kitchen, deliciously comfy leather couch, a huge chalkboard on the wall and a stunning view of Table Mountain. Even better, the only room open in the apartment was a single room, equipped with a full-sized bed and its own bathroom and shower! I couldn't have asked for a better living situation. I also tend to bore easily by a steady environment, so the change of atmosphere was refreshing as well. What a wonderful way to spend my remaining month here!

My roommate Christie has a friend from back home from Northeastern visiting this week during her spring break (and, funnily enough, my friend Katelyn's boyfriend and another friend Kate's family are here at the exact same time and all arrived on the same flight!) I love having visitors because it allows me to see Cape Town through a fresh set of eyes. Once you've lived somewhere for two months, the newness and original excitement start to dull a bit. I also get the privilege of tagging along in Christie's introductions to the best parts of the city, so I'm psyched to re-experience some of our favorite places and events. On the docket for tonight is a big group dinner at the sushi restaurant that we all adore near the waterfront. Half-price sushi and cocktails on Sundays, baby!

My experience here has led me to become a bit too ambitious. My success at planning and (almost) completing this internship has instilled in me a feeling that I can conquer anything. The world does not seem as large as it once did and I'm starting to realize how many things I want to accomplish both in the near future while I'm still young and throughout my entire life in general. I'm set on visiting all seven continents before I kick the bucket and hope to cross one more off my list before I graduate from medical school (I still need to hit South America, Asia and Antarctica). I've also decided to spend the rest of this year training for a half-marathon in Disney World in January 2013 and I'm attempting to save up some funds within the next year to visit my best friend Lexi in Germany next summer. Life is too short to waste. I have four weeks left in Cape Town and I'm planning on making the best of it!

Check in for some exciting updates within the next few weeks. Miss you all.
xo Em

No comments:

Post a Comment