Thursday, March 29, 2012

Perspectives

Well, here I am snuggled on the couch with a glass of Amarula getting ready to watch a movie with the roomies. My last night in Cape Town is here and it’s slowly starting to hit me that I’m leaving. It’s been raining all day, which is suitable for my mood and the occasion. Christie cleverly deduced that “Cape Town is crying.” My last evening was a relaxing one; a small group of my closest friends and I just went to Perseverance Tavern up the street for some drinks and malva pudding. We just returned back to Perspectives, what we’ve all gotten used to calling “home.” Funny how the name of my building is now just ingrained in my head – providing the name “Perspectives” when calling taxis or answering an inquiry on where I live – and I’m realizing how appropriate this name is in light of my experience. If I’ve gained anything from my travels, it’s perspective.

Tuesday night a large group of us went out to dinner at a restaurant called Cubana downtown. Jenny (my friend from London)’s sister was visiting this week so she wanted to get everyone together to meet. The menu was like a novel, half of it filled with drinks, so I knew from the start it was going to be an impressive meal. I was not disappointed! A relaxing night at a charming restaurant with delicious food and great friends? Yes please.

Wednesday evening I had the privilege of meeting up with John again. He sweetly welcomed me to his gorgeous home, situated right next door to Kirstenbosch Gardens, where I got the opportunity to meet his partner, Peter and their two huskies (of course I joked with John, telling him, “50% of the reason why I came over here was to meet your dogs!”) As expected, I had such a lovely time with the two of them. John cooked a scrumptious meal, complete with a yummy traditional South African dessert called milk tart. I was so lucky to have met John and Peter while I was in Cape Town and I’ll surely contact them if I ever find myself back in the country. John taught me a phrase common in South Africa, saying, “You come here as a visitor and you leave as a friend.” I couldn’t have put it better myself!

It’s been a bit rainy and dreary the past couple of days and the rain may continue tomorrow. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the weather picks up because I’m supposed to hike Table Mountain with the roomies tomorrow morning for my last “hurrah.” It’d be great to have the tough hike tucker me out so that I can sleep on my 11 ½ hour flight tomorrow night. We’ll see!

Christie’s choice of quote for the week was a great one: “If ever there is a tomorrow when we’re not together, there is something you must always remember: you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think, but the most important thing is, even if we’re apart, I will always be with you.” – Winnie the Pooh

xo Em

Sarah and Christie at Cubana
 Jenny (on the right) with her sister Kathy
 John and Peter's dogs, Luca and Mika
 Kate, Audra and Becca at Perseverance Tavern
 Sarah, me and Christie - roomies!

No comments:

Post a Comment